The Anaheim Ducks shared that without a doubt the MVP of the first half belongs to John Gibson who stolen victories from their opponents with his stellar goaltending. He will continue to be a STAR for the Ducks for the rest of the season and in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Photo by Anaheim Ducks
Here is what the Ducks shared what the Ducks goaltender has as we head into the second half of the season and why he is a candidate for one of the players for the Ducks to send to the All-Star Game in San Jose.
As the Ducks begin the second half of the season tomorrow night (Game No. 42), Ducks goaltender John Gibson continues to lead the way. Anaheim (19-15-7) currently sits in a playoff spot (Wild Card No. 2) after 41 games, with potential Vezina/Hart Trophy candidate Gibson having his best season.
Some notes on Gibson’s performance to-date:
- In the 16 one-goal games Gibson has played in, the Ducks have a point in all 16 (10-0-6). Gibson has a .940 save percentage in those games.
- Gibson co-leads the NHL with 991 saves this season (Craig Anderson).
- Gibson leads the NHL in third period SV%, stopping 291-of-306 shots (.951).
- When protecting a third period lead (ahead after two periods), Gibson is 6-0-0 with a 1.91 GAA and .953 SV%.
- He has made 192 saves with the Ducks shorthanded – 48 more than anyone else in the NHL (Anderson is second with 144).
- Gibson leads the league in most games played when allowing two goals-or-less (19).
- For his career, Gibson owns the highest career SV% in NHL history among goalies to appear in a minimum 150 career games since 1955-56 (when shots on goal became an official NHL stat). His .923 SV% tops Ken Dryden (.922), Dominik Hasek (.922) and Tuukka Rask (.922) on the exclusive list.
- On January 2, Gibson was named to the 2019 NHL All Star Game, becoming first Anaheim goalie to be named twice.
Note: No goaltender playing in the Pacific Time Zone has ever won the Vezina Trophy. Seven goaltenders that won the Vezina have also won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP. Dominik Hasek of Buffalo did so twice (1996-98).
Blog post coming up next… Ducks goalie John Gibson is selected for All-Star Game
This season marks the 25th Anniversary of the Anaheim Ducks franchise. It is going to be a season filled with many surprises and who knows maybe one of those many surprises might be going far in the Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!!
LET’S GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please leave any of your comments on the blog in the comment section. If you have any recommendations or thoughts or changes I could make simply email me at email@example.com
*Remember to download the NHL app to access everything Ducks. It’s a go to place to see stats on players, you can subscribe in order to listen to the game just like you would in the car, track the team points to see what place they stand in for the playoffs, and my favorites you can shop through the app and read articles of and watch interviews of the games and everything to do with the Anaheim Ducks.*
Most of you are probably on Social Media so here’s another source to get: Follow the Anaheim Ducks on Twitter and Instagram if you don’t already. It is a great way to stay in the loop of what is going to be happening with the Ducks and the Honda Center. Also you can follow each player on Twitter to see what they are up to besides playing the game and practicing for the games.
*Continue to check out the Ducks Team Store because there is always new items and merchandise that the Anaheim Ducks Team Store. So check it out before it’s gone.*
Sources: Anaheim Ducks Player News- Ducks Daily and Twitter @AnaheimDucks
Sources are all by The Anaheim Ducks/ anaheimducks.com
Source: Anaheim Ducks- Ducks Goaltender Gibson Leads the Way as Second Half Begins
Photos by The Anaheim Ducks